Friday, June 18, 2010

I had just finished brushing my teeth when I heard it. It's one of my favorite sounds. It's sweet, a little high-pitched and usually filled with excitement. It evokes emotions of overwhelming love, relief and thankfulness in me. It's a sound I hear every morning, but never tire of hearing. It's the sweet, innocent voice of my precious Ethan.

Each morning upon awakening, Ethan searches the house calling, "Hey Momma", until he finds me. I must have heard him say it three or four times before he actually entered the bathroom to give me a good morning hug. And each time he said it, the words were filled with the same love and excitement. It's as if we've been separated for days instead of 10 to 12 hours.

You're probably thinking that it's my favorite sound for obvious reasons. It's the sound of my child's voice and what parent doesn't love the sound of their child's voice (well, with the exception of the whiny one). But the ambiguous reason this is one of my favorite sounds is the feelings behind the little voice first thing in the morning.

I cherish the fact that my son is excited to see me each morning. We spend all day together and we talk throughout each day. But at no time during the day is he quite as excited to see me as he is first thing in the morning. The unexpressed meaning in his voice is one of forgiveness. No matter what kind of day we experienced on the previous day, he's excited to see me and we have a fresh start. Thankfully at three his memory is short term and he's long forgotten about me being "mean" (and yes, he tells me that sometimes), he's long forgotten about me losing my temper and sending him to time out (sometimes unfairly) and he's long forgotten about me not letting him jump off the back of my sofa. It's a new day and he is ready to spend it with me. Love, unconditionally.

Wow, love unconditionally. A new day. Sounds mighty familiar doesn't it? It reminds me of my heavenly Father. Immediately a song comes to mind.

Lord, You make Your mercies new every day
You change my life in so many ways
You cradle me in Your sweet grace
You fill me

Yesterday, today, forever more
There's one thing I know for sure
Fresh as the morning dew
You make Your mercy new


The song, New Mercy, is one of my favorites by Phillips, Craig and Dean. The song reminded me that there is another who is excited to start a fresh new day with me. Another who has long forgotten (and forgiven) any transgressions of yesterday. Another who loves me unconditionally. God, my Father. Isn't it amazing that God can use the simple act of Ethan excitedly saying, "Hey Momma" to remind me of His faithfulness and mercies? I praise the Lord that He speaks to me through my children. They are blessings from Him and I am grateful that the Lord uses them to reveal Himself to me daily.

Lamentations 3:22-23 (HCS)
22 Because of the Lord's faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end.
23 They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness!

0 comments:

Post a Comment